All those studying full/part time at Universities & Colleges who have not been taught formally “How to Learn.”
All those in High school: Grade 8 - 12
QUALIFI ACCREDITED COURSE
TEACHING WHOLE BRAIN LEARNING
Duration: 3 days
Course attendees: Min 20 learners.
Training Venue: Internal & External
This course facilitates the creative and intellectual awakening and teaches “Whole Brain Learning” and cognitive study methods. It is a program of true self-discovery which facilitates individuals’ realization of their power and creative capacity by integrating the creative, emotional, and imaginative functions of the right brain with the logical, practical and strategic functions of the left brain. This mind integration is essential to cognition, selfdiscovery, creative invention and critical thinking skills.
INTRODUCTION - DAY 1
- 9 Steps to success
- Understanding yourself better
- Whole Brain Learning explained
- Overcoming challenges
- Optical illusions
- Self - concept
- Self - belief
- Brain puzzles
MODULE 1: RETENTION – DAY 1
Retaining large volumes of information as presented, is difficult for most learners. This section helps with the retention of all types of information and any subject.
- Your brain & how it works
- Memory exercises
- Mnemonic systems to master A-Z & 0-9
- Unfamiliar information & data made easy
- English vocabulary made easy
- Modification of old information
MODULE 2: LEARNING – DAY 2
The ability to ‘teach’ and not ‘tell’ is a critical factor in a student’s success.
- Learning from a text book - TPQRWTR
- Classification of information
- Identifying what is important
- Finding all the questions and answers
- Rewriting in Linear summarizing style
- Keyword extraction
- Self testing
MODULE 3: READING – DAY 2
Efficient reading is the ability to change reading speed according to information presented, as well as understanding the purpose of your reading.
- Speed reading & eye exercises
- Foreign vocabulary
MODULE 4: LISTENING - DAY 2
Listening in class is one of the most important tasks of a learner’s day, be it the teacher / lectures or comments made by fellow learners. The anticipation and noting of important facts or statements are invaluable in the learning process.
- Active listening skills
- Note taking in class/lectures
MODULE 5: WRITING - DAY 2
The ability to research and write constructively is invaluable, as a large percentage of exams may require research and essay type questions.
- Letter & essays writing
- Research techniques
MODULE 6: COMMUNICATION - DAY 3
Verbal communication is critical in the modern world today. With ever increasing reliance on SMS and data chat rooms etc. learner’s face to face communication skills are lacking.
- Speeches /Orals
- Public speaking
MODULE 7: EXAM TECHNIQUES - DAY 3
This module deals with teaching the learner to think both creatively and logically, giving clear guidelines on how to be a successful learner and pass exams.
- Examination preparation
- Handling examination anxiety
- How to succeed in an examination
- Examination vocabulary
- Healthy brain foods & sleep
- Planning your day
MODULE 8: PLANNING - DAY 3
Successful people have well defined short and long-term goals. Goal setting and proper time management are an essential part of the learning process.
- Goal setting & time management
MODULE 9: APPLICATION - DAY 3
The application of the skills taught are reinforced no matter what subjects the learner needs to master, from Mathematics to Geography and from the Sciences through to the Humanities
EXAMINATION – DAY 4
Candidates will write a 2-hour content examination. Pass mark 90%
- Improved self-belief & confidence.
- Whole brain learning.
- Realization of full creative potential.
- Improved thinking and reasoning skills.
- Improved listening & communication skills.
- Improved problem solving skills.
- Read with speed and understanding.
- Reduction in study time.
- Indefinite retention of information.
- Accurate recall of information.
- Improved grades